Now that you have learned basics of digital forensics analyses and methodology, and have experienced one of the common forensic tools, use the material presented in this project as well as research you’ve conducted outside of the course materials to write a research paper that addresses the following:
1. digital forensic methodology
2. the importance of using forensic tools to collect and analyze evidence (e.g., FTK Imager and EnCase)
3. hashing in the context of digital forensics
4. How do you ensure that the evidence collected has not been tampered with (i.e., after collection)? Why and how is this important to prove in a court of law?
The deliverables for this project are as follows:
1. Digital Forensic Research Paper: This should be a five-page double-spaced Word document with citations in APA format. The page count does not include diagrams or tables.
2. In a Word document, share your lab experience and provide screenshots to demonstrate that you completed the lab.
Submit your deliverables to the assignment folder.
Before you submit your assignment, review the competencies below, which your instructor will use to evaluate your work. A good practice would be to use each competency as a self-check to confirm you have incorporated all of them in your work.
• 5.3: Uses defensive measures and information collected from a variety of sources to identify, analyze, and report events that occur or might occur within the network in order to protect information, information systems, and networks from threats.
• 8.6: Provides professional preparation for computer digital forensics, investigation of crime, and preservation of digital evidence in criminal and civil investigations and information security incident response.
• 8.7: Provide theoretical basis and practical assistance for all aspects of digital investigation and the use of computer evidence in forensics and law enforcement.