Read the following instructions for your Mid-Term Exam. When you have written your essay, upload it to the Assignment page titled “Mid-Term Exam.”
• Discuss the Freudian effect on the Western world and specifically literature, using D. H. Lawrence’s The Woman Who Rode Away as your example of a story rooted in Freudian teachings.
The following questions may help you begin your analytical work of the text. Your paper should not simply be short answers to these questions; rather it needs to be a formal essay with direct quotes from the text. But you should address these questions. Organize your essay around these main points:
• How do the theories of Freud and Carl Jung effect Western literature?
• According to Carl Jung and Joseph Campbell, how can myth be used to analyze Western literature?
• How does D.H. Lawrence use the Dionysos myth as the foundation in his story: The Woman Who Rode away?
• Are any of these symbols present in the text and what do they imply?
o Loss of Identity
o Trance-like state
o Objections to authority
• The Woman is on a journey to find her spiritual unconscious. How do we know that she has lost it?
• Where does Dionysos symbolically show up abruptly, disguised as something effeminate? Where does he symbolically show up abruptly with violence or lashing out?
• What passages indicate that Dionysos is present and inviting the Woman to embrace her unconscious self?
• Does the Woman get what she wants? She does meet her unconscious, but does she give in and embrace the spirit of Dionysos and embrace her unconscious self? Or does she deny it? Explain.
• Is it necessary for the woman to die at the end of this text? Could she have met her unconscious and yet still have gone back to her husband and children? Explain.
• What is the tone of this piece?
• Is it important for us to listen to our unconscious selves and try to incorporate its wants and dreams into our conscious, physical lives? Why or why not?
STRUCTURE: Make sure you include the basic information early in the opening of your paper: cultures you will be discussing; art you will discuss; tie that info to the overall Western world. The body of your paper must include specific examples and direct quotes from the text. You should have a clear introduction, body paragraphs, and conclusion.
PURPOSE: Your critical response involves analysis, evaluation, and critical thinking. You will need to give specific examples from the text, course reading, and videos.
FORMAT: Your paper should be a Word Document, 3-5 pages in length, and double-spaced with one-inch margins.