Learning Objectives measured in this assignment:
• Produce well-reasoned written or oral arguments using evidence to support conclusion
• Analyze and discuss common institutions or patterns of life in contemporary US society and how they influence, or are influenced by, race, ethnicity, class, gender, sexual orientation, belief, or other forms of social differentiation.
• Close-read and analyze literary texts.
Paper #2 Options (1000-1250 words): 5 PAGES
For this paper, you are to draw connections between any two of the texts we have read for the course.
Keep your focus tight: do not try to discuss every aspect or theme of a text. Instead, aim to look for a theme or subject that both texts explore.
This is not a compare and contrast paper. I am asking you to think how two texts approach an issue or theme and what they have to say about it.
For example you might look at how two texts understand or explore gender or race/ ethnicity. Or justice, etc. in the US in the 21st century.
Please DO NOT use any outside sources just use the two texts you have chosen.
You must have a solid thesis statement
To the Writer : I hope you can find a common theme for both of these texts stated below . Thank you!
The Round House by Louise Erdrich
Everything I never Told You by Celeste NG
A Note on Thesis Statements
• Work you did in ENG 125 and ENG 126 should be helpful in constructing your thesis statement.
• Aim for a thesis that is focused, challenging, debatable, and supportable.
• Avoid a thesis that simply tells us that the paper will be drawing connections. For example, these statements are not thesis statements; they are general observations:
o Both Nelson and Ng explore aspects of maternity.
YOU MUST EXPLAIN WHY AND HOW! YOUR THESIS MUST BE SPECIFIC.