Social media and social computing changed the dynamic of the business and consumer relationship. Social media provides organizations with a powerful tool to establish brands, create buzz about products, and build customer loyalty. On the other hand, consumers can, and often do, use social media to self-organize and demand changes that align with their preferences – regardless of whether it is a benefit to the organization.
Research a recent event in which individuals used social-media to self-organize and create a change in a large organization’s decision, practice, or strategy. Examples include changes to policies or practices of for-profit company, local or national governments, or large institutions such as universities or religious orders.
Provide an in-depth overview of this event that describes the following:
- The event itself and the concerns of the individuals (e.g., consumers or citizens)
- How individuals used mobile technology and networks to organize and communicate among themselves
- The communication methods between the community created by the individuals and the organization
- How the use of social media affected decisions, actions, or outcomes
- Changes the organization may need to make to its information system to track or use the data created during the event or in response to the event
- Your thoughts and reasoning regarding whether the use of social media has led to a change for the benefit of the citizens and the consumers or the organization.
Document your findings using one of the following options:
- A 1- to 2-page Microsoft® Word document
- Submit your assignment to the Assignment Files tab.