HN300-01: Human Services and Social Policy Unit 4 Discussion Board Question:
Theory and Practice
It is important to understand the theories underlying our work and how they impact our actions in practice. Select one of the theoretical perspectives discussed in Chapter 4 that you believe would be effective in working with clients and respond to the following questions:
- Describe the theory in detail and indicate why you feel it would be effective.
- Using the Kaplan Library and the internet, research the theory you have chosen. Describe some of the basic helping skills that human services workers utilizing this theory would use.
- Next, review and respond to the seven questions about clarifying your values on page 210 of your text:
- • What values underlie your desire to help others?
- • What social issues do you feel strongly about?
- • Which client behaviors would you have trouble accepting?
- • Which of your values would you like to change?
- • What would you like to accomplish in human services?
- • How do you go about solving personal problems?
- • Do you readily seek help from others when you need it?
- Finally, discuss how these values relate to your choice of the theory under which you will practice and the interventions you choose to utilize with your clients.