You must read and prepare the case individually, and come prepared to discuss the following Questions:
1) What is the potential market (in units/in $) for Oxyglobin – at current levels and if there is market expansion?
What is the potential market (in units/in $) for human blood substitute?
2) What are the biggest obstacles to success for Biopure in the human market? the animal market?
3) a) What are the possible reference prices [what consumers may anticipate paying or consider reasonable to pay] for Hemopure?
b) How might Oxyglobin be a threat to Hemopure? How might it be an help?
4) a) What are the reasons for and against launching immediately Oxyglobin?
b) If launched, at what price? How should it be distributed?
1) First, read the case. It gives a good example of the range of information you must take into account before starting a business strategy analysis.
2) Answer questions 3b (Oxyglobin as a threat/an help) and 4 (immediate launch of Oxyglobin) based on your “gut feelings”
3) Work through the case (detailed analysis and structured answers to the questions)
4) Have you changed your answers (yes/no) after this detailed analysis? Why?