Niles, N. Basics of the U.S. Health Care System, Third Edition. New York: Jones & Bartlett.
Based on Chapter 1, answer the following questions:
1. What is the difference between primary, secondary and tertiary prevention? Provide specific examples of each of those activities?
2. What is the Iron Triangle?
Based on Chapter 3, answer the following questions:
3. Identify and describe the roles of five major stakeholders of the U.S. healthcare industry.
4. What are residential care facilities? Give three examples.
5. What is the National Center for Complementary and Alternative Medicine (NCCAM)? Why was it established and for what purpose?
6. What is the National Center for Health Statistics? What activities are they responsible for?
Based on Chapter 4, answer the following questions:
7. Describe 5 activities that the state government performs for health care.
8. What is the role of the local health department in the health care system?
Based on Chapter 6, answer the following questions:
9. Identify the three major types of hospitals by ownership and discuss the differences between the types of hospitals.
10. What are the 5 major positions held in hospital governance?
11. What is the difference between hospital licensure, accreditation and certification?
Based on Chapter 9, answer the following questions:
12. What are the five common characteristics of managed care organizations?
13. What are the three major types of managed care organization’s remuneration plans to providers?
14. What is the importance of the Health Employer Data and Information Set (HEDIS)?